Joe Valentine, Esq. is a Licensed Attorney (NC, DC pending) and Licensed Customs Broker, whose law practice focuses on Trade Compliance and Customs law including ITAR/EAR compliance (Export Controls), FCPA and Customs compliance, Economic Sanctions (OFAC), CFIUS filings and WTO Trade Remedies – anti-dumping, countervailing and safeguard duties. He offers trade compliance legal, consulting and training services to trade law firms, exporters, importers, research institutions and others engaged in international trade.
- ITAR/EAR/FCPA/Anti boycott compliance
- Classification including Commodity Jurisdiction Determinations
- M&A Due Diligence
- Voluntary Disclosures
- Export Import Compliance Programs
- OFAC licenses
- CFIUS filings
- Customs regulations incl. classification, valuation, licensing, transfer pricing
- Tariff engineering
- Free Trade Agreements
- Country of Origin determinations
- Drawback, Refunds
- Anti dumping / Countervailing / Safeguard duty investigations / petitions
- Unfair Trade practices / Sec. 337
- Import-export compliance
- M & A, Joint Ventures
- Technology licensing
- Due diligence
Trade and customs compliance is critical for exporters, importers and research institutions.
Export Controls: ITAR compliance regulates export or import of defense-related articles and services. EAR compliance regulates the export of “dual-use” items. Export violations can result in penalties, fines, prosecution and denial of export privileges. An effective trade compliance program and voluntary disclosures can help mitigate penalties in case of violations.
Economic Sanctions: OFAC administers and enforces economic and trade sanctions against targeted entities.
The FCPA prohibits the payment of bribes to foreign officials to assist in obtaining or retaining business.
CFIUS reviews transactions that could result in control of a U.S. business by a foreign person, in order to determine the effect of such transactions on the national security of the United States.
Customs regulations regulate classification, valuation, licensing, bonding, drawback, country of origin markings, protection against unfair trade practices and other areas of trade. Courts have held that tariff classification of goods must be “ascertained by an examination of the imported article itself, in the condition it is imported” but the “prescribed duty rate cannot be escaped by resort to disguise or artifice.” Since the applicable duty rate depends on the classification, there may arise opportunities for tariff engineering to legally lower the rate of duty applicable on imported goods subject to compliance with legal precedent.
WTO law: Trade remedies such as anti-dumping, countervailing and safeguard duties are used to ensure fair trade and prevent serious injury to domestic industry.
India Practice is offered in collaboration with law firms and consultants in India.
Contact Trade Compliance Attorney by completing and submitting the Inquiry Form below.
An experienced international trade compliance professional, licensed attorney and customs broker, Attorney Valentine represents companies, manufacturers and distributors, defense contractors, research Universities and other entities in all aspects of international trade compliance and enforcement.
Georgetown University Law Center, Washington D.C.
LL.M. (International Business & Economic Law) with WTO Studies Certificate, 2017.
- WTO law, Export Controls, Economic Sanctions, Trade Remedies, Customs, Int’l Business.
- Fellow, Institute of International Economic Law, Georgetown Univ. Law Center.
- Member, Georgetown University Law Center LL.M. International Arbitration Moot Court Team
North Carolina Central University School of Law, Durham, N.C.
Juris Doctor, cum laude, 2015. Dean’s List, Law Eagle Merit Scholarship
- Staff Editor – NC Central Law Review, Member – 1L Trial Team, 3L Negotiation Team for NASCAR Competition, 3L Team for Saul Lefkowitz IP Moot Court.
- Volunteer – Elder Law Wills Project & Income Tax Assistance/Counseling Project.
Duke University Fuqua School of Business, Durham, N.C.
Master of Business Administration, 2003.
- Fuqua Merit Scholar, Sax Baldridge Award for best consulting project
Indian Institute of Management, Ahmedabad, India
Post Graduate Diploma in Agribusiness Management
Kerala Agricultural University, India.
Bachelor of Science (Agriculture).
- Law Extern, United States International Trade Commission
- Trade Compliance (ITAR/EAR) Faculty, United States
- Director, Trade Compliance, India and United States
- Deputy Director General of Shipping, Govt. of India
- Joint Commissioner of Customs, Govt. of India
- North Carolina
- District of Columbia pending
- North Carolina Bar Association
- American Bar Association
- Society for International Affairs
- International Compliance Professionals Association